Pages

Saturday 8 March 2014

sTORI Telling: Bear With The Obnoxious Use Of Her Own Name And You’ll Find An Addictive Read

A Review By: Amelia
 
I love to read tell-alls. There’s just something about troubled lives that draws my attention and doesn’t let go until the last page is turned. With Tori Spelling’s book I figured I get some juicy gossip from the set of Beverly 90210 and spoiled brat stories. Much to my surprise, sTORI Telling gave me only got a little bit of gossip here and there and there were absolutely no spoiled brat stories, but her book was still interesting and definitely a compelling read.

sTORI Telling, as I mentioned above, is Tori Spelling’s memoir. This memoir was Tori's chance to finally tell her side of the tabloid-worthy life she's led: parties and plastic surgery that she’s had, her fairy-tale wedding to the wrong man, her so-called feud with her mother, how she always wanted to do nothing but comedy but found it hard to find any openings due to the stigma attached to her name. She tells all and with the sometimes self-deprecating, always witty prose she writes with, it’s hard not to be enchanting by her mostly less-than-enchanting life.

A regular Halloween in the Spelling household
Tori Spelling–television producer Aaron Spelling’s daughter–is known, honestly, for her name. Her first major role was portraying Donna Martin on Beverly Hills 90210 and, in doing so, became the world’s biggest case of nepotism. All through her teenage years she had a not-so private private life and was one of the most recognizable women in show business. Or at least B-list show business. Over the course of her life she’s had plastic surgery, a clumsy and awkward love life, a complicated relationship with her parents (and that’s putting it lightly), and ultimately, a hard time overcoming the nepotism that got her into show business in the first place!


My final thoughts on sTORI Telling are that it’s a surprisingly good read. Tori Spelling might not have lived a life of drug addictions or being a bitch on set–I’m waiting for Shannen Doherty’s book for that topic–but it’s still a compelling read, especially for all the passages about her over-bearing yet under-caring mother. You might believe that you already know everything there is to know about Tori Spelling because of the things you’ve read on magazine covers; I thought I did anyways. When I came upon her autobiography on the shelves of my local library I thought ‘what the hell?’ all the while believing that everything I was going to read, I would already know. But, really, everything I knew was only half truths. Her memoirs tell her side of the story and, as it turns out, it’s a hell of a lot more interesting than anything you can read in a rag magazine!

No comments:

Post a Comment